- Tough Ruck takes place in Minuteman National Park, Park Rules and the Park Rangers are to be respected at all times.
- Tough Ruck participants are made up of any member of the Armed Forces currently serving, Veterans, First Responders, and Civilians. This extends across borders and is an open invite to our allied brothers and sisters around the world.
- All participants will wear footwear.
- Marchers in the heavy division must have a minimum of 35 pounds in their rucksacks/backpacks, which will be weighed at the start and verified at the finish line. Marchers in the light division must have a minimum of 15 pounds in their rucksacks/backpacks, which will be weighed at the start and verified at the finish line.
- The frame of the ruck/backpack will count towards the weight limit for all divisions.
- Weighted vests are not allowed in any category in place of the ruck weight.
- No trash (especially banana peels and orange peels) may be left along the course except at trash collection points at the water stations. All Ruckers must take their trash with them. Any Rucker who dumps trash along the course will be disqualified and will NOT receive a medal.
- Removal, destruction, or tampering with any signs or markers is strictly prohibited, including Tough Ruck course marker flags. Any Rucker who removes, tampers with, or destroys any sign or marker will be disqualified and will NOT receive a medal.
- Refunds will not be given due to inclement weather or cancellation of the march.
- Good sportsmanship is expected at all times!
- Timing discrepancies must be made known NLT 24 hours after the event. After 7 days all times are considered official and results stand.
- All Awards are presented at the Tough Ruck post race awards presentation. The awards presentation will take place on the afternoon of the Tough Ruck at the Finish Line. No awards will be mailed.
When does 2020 registration open?
** Tough Ruck 2020 is Sold Out **
#ToughRuck2020 Registration will open at 12:01AM on Veterans Day, 11 NOV 2019. Check out the 2020 tab for more details! Register here (direct link //charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/toughruck2020)
Individual Registration Option 1:
$125 registration fee | $450 individual fundraising commitment | Shirt, Official Boston Marathon Medal (finishers only)
Individual Registration Option 2:
$50 registration fee | $950 individual fundraising commitment | Hoodie, Shirt, Official Boston Marathon Medal (finishers only)
Individual Registration Option 3:
$50 donation fee required at time of registration that counts to your fundraising goal | $1500 individual fundraising commitment | Boston Marathon Jacket, Hoodie, Shirt, Official Boston Marathon Medal (finishers only) *Ruckers who met their fundraising commitment of $1500 in 2019 may use the contact form to request a waiver of the initial $50 donation.
I am a civilian. Can I Tough Ruck?
Yes. The Ruck is open to active military, veterans, first responders, and civilians. We recommend civilians read the Tough Ruck Guide for recommendations on footwear, Ruck sack and more.
Do I have to fundraise to participate?
Yes. Each person is individually responsible for their fundraising commitment based on the registration option chosen. You are able to join a team however the fundraising commitment is each individual rucker’s responsibility. The funds you commit to raise will provide much needed support for military families and families of Fallen Heroes. You without exaggeration will be providing a lifetime to countless others. Thank you for choosing this mission.
I REALLY want the Boston Marathon Jacket but I’m worried about not making the fundraising minimum. Help!
We love that you love the full swag and to support the mission. We’d highly recommend you register at the fundraising minimum you know you can achieve. If you fundraise enough to meet other swag levels ($950 or $1500) by February 20th, you will earn the additional swag. Please make sure you contact us by February 20th to let us know so we can get your sizes for the hoodie and the Boston Marathon Jacket! We are unable to order additional swag after the deadline of February 20th.
I am working hard to meet my fundraising goal. What is the deadline? What if I don’t meet the goal?
Is there a minimum to the weight of the Ruck Sack?
Yes. Ruck sacks will be weighed in prior to the start time and immediately after crossing the finish line. You will NOT be permitted to ruck if your ruck sack does not weigh in at a minimum of 15 pounds. If your ruck comes in under the Minimum weight for your division at the Finish Line you will be disqualified.
*Military Heavy Division – Open to all active military, veterans and retirees. Each Rucker will wear: a blouse, trousers, safety belt, regulation issued boots, and a ruck/assault pack/regulation pack issued by branch of service. The minimum weight in the Military Heavy division is 35 pounds. See info below.
*Military Light Division – Open to all active military, veterans and retirees. Each Rucker will wear: a blouse, trousers, safety belt, regulation issued boots, and a ruck/assault pack/regulation pack issued by branch of service. The minimum weight in the Military Light division is 15 pounds. See info below.
*Civilian Heavy Weight Division – Ruckers in the Civilian Heavy Weight division will carry a minimum of 35 pounds in their ruck at weigh in and at the finish line. You can wear any apparel you would like in this category.
*Civilian Light Weight Division – Ruckers in the Civilian Light Weight division will carry a minimum of 15 pounds in their ruck at weigh in and at the finish line. You can wear any apparel you would like in this category.
I registered for the wrong division, what should I do?
How can I donate to support a Rucker?
How can I Volunteer?
Am I able to cancel? Can I get a refund?
I am unable to participate due to injury, illness or unexpected circumstances and need to drop out.
We’re very sorry to hear that! However, like other major marathon events, including The Boston Marathon, once you register Tough Ruck is NOT able to allow for any cancellations, bib transfers or any changes to your registration, including fulfilling the fundraising commitment you made. The fundraising deadline to raise the funds you have committed is March 31, 2020. At that time, if you have not raised these funds, you will be charged the remaining balance.
Is there a tax ID for donations?
Military Friends Foundation is the official charity of Tough Ruck. The non-profit ID is 37-1462599. Military Friends Foundation is the d/b/a for Friends of the National Guard and Reserve Families, Inc. Donations made online will appear on the donors credit card statement as WePay Military Friends Foundation.
I have a friend who wants to write a check instead of making an online donation. Can this be added to my online fundraising?
Yes. Please make sure the donor includes your name when they send their check. Please make checks payable to: Military Friends Foundation, 6 Beacon Street Suite 200, Boston, MA 02108. Please allow up to two weeks for the donation to appear online. All checks must be received by 5PM March 23, 2020 in order to be credited onto your fundraising total before the deadline. We are unable to credit any funds until they are received this includes matching funds.
I set up a fundraiser online through another site. Does that count towards my fundraising goal?
We are only able to track and count fundraising done through the Tough Ruck official registration site at www.crowdrise.org/toughruck2020. If you have raised funds elsewhere you will need to make a donation to your page yourself to transfer these funds in order for them to appear on your official Tough Ruck fundraising page.
How old do I have to be to Ruck?
Am I able to get a refund?
Will you supply the ruck sack?
Can I use the Tough Ruck Logo for fundraising?
Tough Ruck is trademarked. Requests to use the Tough Ruck name and/or Logo must be received in writing at email@example.com and you must receive written approval prior to the use of our name and/or logo for any fundraiser and/or on any marketing materials including t-shirts, coins, hats, etc.
Can I use the Tough Ruck bib to fundraise for other non-profits?
No. We appreciate your involvement and support of many tremendous causes. That being said, Tough Ruck is the signature fundraising event for Military Friends Foundation each year and provides critical resources for military families. We do not allow any of the limited 1000 Tough Ruck bibs to be used to fundraise for any other event or non-profit.