- Tough Ruck takes place in Minuteman National Park and the rules and the Park Rangers are to be respected at all time.
- Tough Ruck participants are made up of any member of the Armed Forces currently serving, Veterans, First Responders, or Civilians. This extends across borders and is an open invite to our allied brothers and sisters around the world.
- All participants will wear footwear.
- Marchers in the heavy division must have a minimum of 35 pounds in their rucksacks/backpacks, which will be weighed at the start and verified at the finish line. Marchers in the light division must have a minimum of 15 pounds in their rucksacks/backpacks, which will be weighed at the start and verified at the finish line.
- The frame of the ruck/backpack will count towards the weight limit for all divisions.
- Weighted vests are not allowed in any category in place of the ruck weight.
- No trash (including BANANA PEELS AND ORANGE PEELS) may be left along the course except at trash collection points at the water stations. All Ruckers must take trash with them. Any Rucker who dumps trash along the course will be disqualified and rucker will NOT receive the medal.
- Removal of signs or other markers is strictly prohibited and will result in disqualification and rucker will NOT receive the medal..
- Refunds will not be given due to inclement weather or cancellation of the march.
- Good sportsmanship is expected at all times!
- Timing discrepancies must be made known NLT 24 hours after the event. After 7 days all times are considered official and results stand.
- Awards are presented at the Tough Ruck finish are (time TBD). No awards will be mailed.
When does 2019 registration open?
#ToughRuck2019 Registration will open on Veterans Day, 11 NOV 2018 at 11:00AM at www.crowdrise.com/ToughRuck2019. Check out the 2019 tab for more details!
Individual Registration Option 1:
$125 registration fee | $450 TR fundraising commitment | Shirt, Official Boston Marathon Medal (finishers only)
Individual Registration Option 2:
$50 registration fee | $950 TR fundraising commitment | Hoodie, Shirt, Official Boston Marathon Medal (finishers only)
Individual Registration Option 3:
FREE registration | $1500 TR fundraising commitment | Boston Marathon Jacket, Hoodie, Shirt, Official Boston Marathon Medal (finishers only)
I am a civilian. Can I Tough Ruck?
Yes. The Ruck is open to active military, veterans, first responders, and civilians. We recommend civilians read the Tough Ruck Guide for recommendations on footwear, Ruck sack and more.
I REALLY want the Boston Marathon Jacket but I’m worried about not making the fundraising minimum. Help!
We love that you love the full swag and to support the mission. We’d highly recommend you register at the fundraising minimum you know you can achieve. If you fundraise enough to meet other swag levels ($950 or $1500) by February 20th, you will earn the additional swag. Please make sure you contact us by February 20th to let us know so we can get your sizes for the hoodie and the Boston Marathon Jacket!
I am working hard to meet my fundraising goal. What is the deadline? What if I don’t meet the goal?
Is there a minimum to the weight of the Ruck Sack?
Yes. Ruck sacks will be weighed in prior to the start time and immediately after crossing the finish line. You will NOT be permitted to ruck if your ruck sack does not weigh in at a minimum of 15 pounds. If your ruck comes in under the weight in your division you will be disqualified.
*Military Heavy Division – Open to all active military and veterans and retirees. Each Rucker will wear a: blouse, trousers, safety belt, regulation issued boots, and a ruck/assault pack/regulation pack issued by branch of service. The minimum weight in the military division is 35 pounds. See info below.
*Military Light Division – Open to all active military and veterans and retirees. Each Rucker will wear a: blouse, trousers, safety belt, regulation issued boots, and a ruck/assault pack/regulation pack issued by branch of service. The minimum weight in the military division is 15 pounds. See info below.
*Heavy Weight Division – Ruckers in the heavy weight division will carry a minimum of 35 pounds in their ruck at weigh in and at the finish line. You can wear any apparel you would like in this category.
*Light Weight Division – Ruckers in the light weight division will carry a minimum of 15 pounds in their ruck at weigh in and at the finish line. You can wear any apparel you would like in this category.
I registered for the wrong division, what should I do?
Do I have to fundraise to participate?
Yes. The funds you commit to raise will provide much needed support for military families and families of Fallen Heroes. You without exaggeration will be providing a lifetime to countless others. Thank you for choosing this mission.
How can I donate to support a Rucker?
How can I Volunteer?
I am a Gold Star Family Member and would like to participate. Can I?
Am I able to cancel? Can I get a refund?
I am injured and need to drop out.
We’re very sorry to hear that! However, like other major marathon events, including The Boston Marathon, once you register Tough Ruck is NOT able to allow for any cancellations, bib transfers or any changes to your registration, including fulfilling the fundraising commitment you made. The fundraising deadline to raise the funds you have committed is April 1, 2019. At that time, if you have not raised these funds, you will be charged the remaining balance.
Is there a tax ID for donations?
Tough Ruck benefits the Military Friends Foundation whose non-profit ID is 37-1462599. Military Friends Foundation is the d/b/a for Friends of the National Guard and Reserve Families, Inc.
I have a friend who wants to write a check instead of give online. Can this be added to my online fundraising?
Yes. Please make sure the donor included your name when they send their check. Please make checks payable to: Military Friends Foundation, 6 Beacon Street Suite 200, Boston, MA 02108. Please allow up to two weeks for the donation to appear online. All checks must be received by 5PM March 27, 2019 in order to be credited onto your fundraising total before the deadline.
I set up a fundraiser online through another site. Does that count towards my fundraising goal?
We are only able to track and count fundraising done through the Tough Ruck official registration site at www.crowdrise.com/ToughRuck2019. If you have raises funds elsewhere you can often make a donation to your page yourself to transfer these funds to appear on your official Tough Ruck fundraising page.
How old do I have to be to Ruck?
Am I able to get a refund?
Will you supply the ruck sack?
Can I use the Tough Ruck Logo for fundraising?
Tough Ruck is trademarked. Please contact us in writing at email@example.com before using our name or logo on any materials.
Can I use the Tough Ruck bib to fundraise for other non-profits?
No. We appreciate your involvement and support of many tremendous causes. That being said, Tough Ruck is signature fundraising event for Military Friends Foundation each year and provides critical resources for military families. We do not allow any of the limited 1000 Tough Ruck bibs to be used to fundraise for any other event or non-profit.